Saturday, February 22, 2014

Peter's Most Wanted 02: Steam Elephant 1815-1825

Next on the most wanted list is the Steam Elephant.  A replica derived from paintings, sketches, and extensive research resides at the Pockerley Waggonway, part of the Beamish Museum near Newcastle. 

Image from Wikipedia, author unkown.
Attributed to John Buddle and William Chapmen, the elephant is similar to Puffing Billy in that it has vertically oriented cylinders mounted in the top of the boiler with aerial motion rods.  That and the proportions of the smoke stack with a feed water heater at the base make it a very attractive subject in my eye. 

We're planning a trip to England to visit my wife's family, and I'm hoping we can make a trip to Beamish so I can see and survey the locomotive.  With that said, I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who is a step ahead of me, or has primary research on this locomotive or associated coal wagons. 

Image from Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment