Tuesday, July 5, 2016
I've been slow in updating the blog, but the Dick Kerr Project is really moving. There is increasing interest in the possibility of a Dick Kerr kit as people see the project in social media. I've found that it's possible to achieve the extremely fine detail I want using the Form 2 printer. This includes profiles beyond the published capabilities of the machine, providing things are appropriately oriented and optimized. Very glad I upgraded. A gallery of updates follows. I'm looking forward to getting this painted. The floor is laser etched from wood--the only part not made on the Form 2 at this point aside from a couple bits of brass.
The back head printed beautifully. The control lever is a bit too far to the left. I did this for support, but think I can now push it over. Will also add rivet detail I think.
The chassis looks a bit abstract, but everything seems to fit right. Looking forward to getting it off the supports.
Gears mesh well! I'm thinking this might actually work now.
Monday, July 4, 2016
I've also designed a set of spur gears for the revised Mechanism. The real work was done using the fantastic program Gearotic Motion. I was originally planning to machine these with the Roland mill, but I am going to use these to put the Form 2 to the test today. Any significant distortion will cause problems with these small gear of 9mm and 14mm diameter. If they don't work I can always make them on the Roland. If they do work, I may need to cast them in a softer plastic. We'll see.
Bruce Wilson proposed a set up from Hollywood Foundry that looks very good--I may go ahead and make one of my mechanisms, and order a Hollywood Foundry item for the second, just to make the body adaptable to something that is not as custom as my solution.