Sunday, February 23, 2014

Dick Kerr WDLR 05

I traced this page through a stray photo.  It's been extremely helpful to see the radiator more clearly, and to gain some insight on the David Smith Drawings.  Also a clear idea of the hood radiator relationship.  Also note this Dick Kerr does not seem to have the trademark spokes in the front wheel set.  They must have been changed out at some point.  Similarly curious about the exhaust--assuming that's also been revised.

No sooner did I find this than Bruce Wilson turned me on to this page.  That's where this fantastic high angle photo resides:

Seeing this caused me to reconsider how I was joining the hood to the body, and whether I wanted to model the rail along the hood as part of my casting.  It seems to me that I should lower the joint to fit this image better.  Bruce also found this image (attribution in caption):
This of course clarifies some of the assumptions I have made.  Radiator needs to be deeper, and the insulator bases are indeed massive castings.  The image below illustrates how I've adjusted the rivets on top of the hood to better fit the images here.  While I can't measure them directly, I can adjust the number and spacing.  I now better understand the position of the straps on the roof--those are steel joints that don't necessarily align with the internal framework which is more closely aligned with the doors.  The framework is reflected in the additional lines of rivets.  I've also simplified thicknesses, and accepted 1.5mm as the necessary structural thickness at the sides (where they are not visible).  I've also increased the seam carve away to .4mm.

After tackling the hood, I returned to thickening and revising the insulator and radiator based on the photos.  The text on the radiator was bigger than I thought based on the David Smith drawings, and I chose to exaggerate it a bit more, hoping to make it legible in 7mm scale (1:43.5).  I also removed the "rails", figuring those could be added later with brass if I chose to do so.  I imagine a lot of these items (radiator cover, details) were removed by soldiers.  While it's possible that these parts were not removed until the units were resold as surplus after the war, soldiers are notoriously practical, and hate to waste time.

Here's the revised hood and radiator assembly.  It's off to the printer now.  I am looking forward to spending time on the cab tonight, after some time away from the computer. Getting exciting--I'm hearing the engine in my imagination. . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment