Sunday, November 18, 2012

Timber Terminator

No, I have not started buying cases of smokes. . . . this is less a lighter than a device to grain the end of scale timbers.  I finally got tired of running back and forth to the car.  Although the lighter assembly is cheap, a 15 amp power supply is required to get the little bugger hot.  Fortunately, I had one of those--I just added some spade connectors to the lighter so I could quickly disconnect it from the power supply, allowing it to be used for other projects.  The stand is made from acrylic.  I was nervous about the heat at first, but, I have yet to melt or warp the acrylic.  Let's face it, the duty cycle is not too severe.


The best results come as the lighter coil cools to a sweet spot, allowing you to do several timbers.  A nice touch for those exposed bits of end grain.


No comments:

Post a Comment